Thursday, August 27, 2009

föreläsning två


So lecture two... fascinating if I do say so myself.
The topic of Professor Steven Stockwell's (PS2) lecture was the "The History of the Computer and the Internet". I know, I know, its a miracle I did not explode with sheer excitement waiting for the lecture to start.
So anyway, PS2 talked for a while, names like Babbage popped up and I read later of a woman known as Lady Lovelace.. how pretty. But anyway, after the industrial revolution was discussed at length, the lecture covered the extreme spike of computer usage starting in the seventies, where computers were then used only by professional geeks with their hair parted in the center, to now where computers are a necessity in society, used by everyone from young hipsters to my best friend's mum.
That's probably the part of this lecture that I found the most interesting (if i had to pick one of course); technology now advances so fast one can hardly keep up- a far cry from Babbages days where developments in technology were massive milestones, that happened slowly and infrequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment